Know your Doctor
Dr. Sabyasachi Bal is one of the Best Cancer Surgeons in New Delhi with an Experience of over three decades in this field.
Dr. Sabyasachi Bal
Dr Sabyasachi Bal is a Thoracic Surgeon with sub specialty fellowship training in chest cancer surgery. His practice focuses on the management of all surgical conditions of the chest in adolescents and adults with special emphasis on cancers affecting the organs of the chest. Dr Bal is the Director of the department of Thoracic Surgery and Thoracic Surgical Oncology and is assisted by a surgical team with considerable surgical experience and expertise and supported by a team of dedicated surgical intensivists and pulmonologists, anaesthesiologists, paramedical personnel and physiotherapists.
Dr. Sabyasachi Bal
- 1984 – MS (Gen Surg) AIIMS, New Delhi.
- 1989-93 – Senior Registrar, Thoracic Surgery, University of Bristol and Royal Marsden Cancer Centre ,London, UK.
- 1994 – UICC Fellow, University of Washington.
- 1999 – Varoon Mahajan Fellow, Division of Thoracic Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, New York, USA.
- 2000-2001 – Senior Research Fellow, Department of Respiratory Medicine & Thoracic Surgery, GlenfieldHospital, Leicester, UK.
Robotic Surgical Training, Duke University, Durham, NC, USA and Intuitive Surgical Labs, Atlanta, USA 2015& Intuitive Surgical Labs, Sunnyvale, Ca, USA and University of San Francisco 2016.
- VATS LUNG RESECTIONS for LUNG CANCER
- major lung resections for carcinoma and other tumours including chest wall resections
- parenchyma preserving surgery for lung malignancies-“sleeve resections”
- Resection of pulmonary secondaries
- oesophageal resections for malignancy
- surgery for benign oesophageal disorders
- pleural diseases such as empyema and pneumothorax
- Tracheal resections for strictures, tumours and trauma
- Complex Resections for Thyroid Cancer
- Lung Volume Reduction Surgery
- Mediastinaltumours(VATS and open surgery)
- Video-assisted diagnostic and therapeutic surgery ( includingoesophageal motility disorders and thymectomy for myasthenia gravis and mediastinal thyroid, thymic and parathyroid tumours).
- ROBOTIC SURGERY for all Thoracic Pathology
- Malignant Pleural and Pericardial effusions-Thoracoscopic treatment
- Chest wall deformities
- Soft tissue and Solid Tumours including chest wall primary lesions
- Thyroid and Parathyroid disorders needing Thoracic input
- Surgery for thyroid disorders and cancers and parathyroid and pancreatic endocrine diseases
- Day Care diagnostic thoracoscopy and mediastinoscopy
- Airway stenting and laser interventions
- Surgery for chest wall and thoracic injuries
- 1985-88 – Senior Registrar and Senior Research associate, Department of Surgery, AIIMS, New Delhi.
- 1988-89 – Assistant Professor, Department of Endocrine Surgery, SGPGIMS, Lucknow, India,
- 1993-1997 – Assistant Professor of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, AIIMS, New Delhi,
- 1997-2001 – Associate Professor of Thoracic Surgery & Chief, Lung Cancer Clinic, Department of Surgery, AIIMS, New Delhi
- 2001-2005 – Additional Professor of Thoracic Surgery & Chief, Lung Cancer Clinic, Department of Surgery, AIIMS, New Delhi
- 2006-2009 – Associate Director, Thoracic Surgery & Thoracic Surgical and Foregut Oncology, Fortis-EscortsHospitals, New Delhi and NCR
- 2009-2020 – Director& Head, Thoracic Surgery & Thoracic Surgical and Foregut Oncology, Fortis-Escorts Hospitals, New Delhi and NCR
Sir Gangaram Hospital, New Delhi
Chairman Insitute of Chest Surgery, Chest Surgical Oncology, Minimally Invasive Surgery & Lung Transplantation
- General Thoracic (Lung, Pleura, Mediastinum ).
- Foregut Surgery (Esophagus and Stomach, Pancreas, Liver).
- Thoracoscopic (VATS) and Robotic Lung Resections for Cancer.
- Major Airway Tumour Surgery.
- Tracheal and Esophageal Injuries.
- Thoracoscopic Surgery (VATS -Diagnostic & Therapeutic).
- Thoracic Cancer Surgery with Special emphasis on Lung Cancer including Parenchyma preservation,Chest Wall resections, Tracheal Resections, Palliative Surgery and Resection of Foregut Tumours and Airway Stenting.
- Thyroid and Parathyroid and Pancreatic Endocrine Surgery.
- Surgical Oncology.
- 132 original papers (1985-present).
- 8 Chapters in Books.
- Former Editor, Thoracic Surgery Section, Indian Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery.
- Member Editorial Board, American Journal of Medicine.
- 1980 Best Undergraduate Student in Community Medicine, AIIMS, New Delhi.
- 1981 Ramalingaswami Prize for Best Intern , AIIMS, New Delhi.
- 1990 Norman Tanner Best Paper Award (Royal Society of Medicine, UK).
- 1995 Japanese Surgical Society Award for Extended resections in Rectal Cancer, Nagoya.
- 1996 Japanese Surgical Society Award for Complex resections in Thyroid Cancer, Kobe, Japan.
- 1999 Varoon Mahajan Fellowship, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, New York, USA.
- 2000-2001 Escorts Raj Nanda Pulmonary Fellowship, Glenfield Hospital, University of Leicester, UK.
- 2002 & 2011 Best Paper Award in Indian Association of Surgical Oncology.
- 2013 Invited Faculty , 1St Asian Masters Conference in Minimal Access Thoracic Surgery, Shanghai, China.
- Proctor in VATS Lung and Thymic Resections, Kolkata University, PGIMER & SSKM Hospital 2015.
- Proctor in VATS Esophageal Resection, Government Hospital, Aizawl, Mizoram 2015.
- Invited Faculty, ATEP Mumbai and Thoracic Masterclass, Hyderabad 2015.
- Beijing VATS MASTERCLASS 2018.
- Member Asia Pacific Advisory Board in Thoracic Technology Innovations, Beijing, China 2019.
- Indian Association of Surgical Oncology (IASO).
- Association of Surgeons of India (ASI)
- Indian Association of Surgical Oncology.
- Indian Association of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgeons (IACTS).
- Japan Society of Surgery.
- British Surgical Stapling Group, UK.